Chevrolet just debuted the redesigned 2022 Silverado. Amongst the enhancements coming to next year’s model is a host of new tech including Super Cruise driver-assistance, an upgraded interior on the LT and above, and 20 percent more torque from the 2.7-liter Turbo. However, of particular interest to the overland community is the new flagship Silverado ZR2.
As Chevy’s new flagship factory-lifted off-road truck, the ZR2 offers race-proven performance straight from the showroom floor. The ZR2 brings together a premium interior, immersive technology, several standard safety equipment features, and off-road prowess in a comprehensive package.
The ZR2 highlights include:
- Standard 6.2L V-8 engine, delivering 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, mated with a 10-speed automatic transmission
- Silverado-first application of Multimatic 40mm DSSV spool-valve dampers, which feature:
- Three separate spool valves to control damping
- Three connected chambers for fluid flow
- Uniquely-tuned springs that, with the Multimatic dampers, increase maximum
- front and rear suspension travel, compared to the Silverado Trail Boss
- Front and rear e-lockers
- Specific off-road chassis and suspension calibrations, including Terrain Mode, which allows one-pedal rock crawling
- Specific 33-inch off-road MT tires
- Unique skid plate package
- New high-approach steel front bumper designed for off-road strength, durability, and clearance that enables an improved 31.8-degree approach angle compared to other Silverado off-road models
The ZR2’s front bumper features removable end caps for easy replacement in the event of damage. Likewise, the exhaust has been placed before the rear bumper to eliminate potential damage.
Images by Chevrolet
In addition to its functional features, the new Silverado ZR2 is distinguished by several aesthetic cues, including a new black hood insert, a unique grille with integrated lighting, and a “flow-tie” emblem, ZR2 badges, unique 18-inch wheels, and a unique Jet Black/Graystone leather-trimmed interior, with complementing dark trim.
We’re excited to see another full-sized off-road-focused offering coming to the market. Look for the Silverado ZR2 at your local dealer in early 2022.