As the crowds made their way into the first-ever Overland Expo Pacific Northwest in Bend, Oregon this Friday morning, they were greeted with a surprise debut: the 2023 Sierra AT4X 1500 AEV Edition, the most off-road capable Sierra 1500 from the factory ever.
This debut is the second hit in a strategic one-two punch of GMC’s overlanding storytelling. First, Overland Expo debuted its vision of how a GMC Sierra can be made into an Ultimate Overland Vehicle 2022 at Overland Expo West. Now it’s GMC’s turn to show at Pacific Northwest what can be done from the factory, with the help from AEV, to make the Sierra event more capable.
The new 2023 Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition updates include:
- AEV-stamped steel front and rear bumpers with heavy-duty recovery points and winch capability (front bumper)
- Five hot-stamped boron steel skid plates (front approach, steering gear, transfer case, fuel tank and differential)
- Unique, race-inspired, laser-engraved 18-inch AEV Salta Wheels in gloss back finish with AEV’s signature recessed valve system for added protection from rocks on the trail.
- 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires
- Updated front grille and fascia to accommodate the new bumper and larger tires, gloss black door handles and a black contrast inner tailgate.
- Exclusive AEV branding throughout the vehicle, including on bumpers, embroidered headrests and all-weather floor liners.
- Available off-road rocker panel protectors to help shield the sills and frame rails and an optional bolt-on step assist when not off-roading.
AEV’s stamped steel front and rear bumpers are constructed of three-millimeter heavy-duty steel. They’re powder- and e-coated for durability and UV and corrosion resistance. Additionally, the factory-installed front bumper is winch-capable — a feature unique to the Sierra 1500’s class.
There are five ultra-high-strength, hot-stamped boron steel skid plates bolted to the bottom of the Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition and help protect its underbody. GMC boasts the manufacturing process that goes into the creation of these skid plates makes them 3.5 times stronger than cold-stamped components. What’s more, it makes the skids resistant to gouging and bending.
With taller tires and sleeker bumpers, the Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition has improved approach, departure, and breakover angles. Approach improves by 27% and measures 32.5 degrees. Departure is 23.4 degrees. And breakover improves slightly to 23 degrees. Ground clearance, too, grows from 10.8 to 11.2 inches.
All of these capability improvements come with the standard luxury appointments found inside the AT4X cabin. These include a full grain leather-wrapped power-massaging front seats, authentic Vanta ash wood trim, a 12-speaker Bose Premium Series audio system and more than 40-inches of combined driver-focused digital displays — the most in its class.
If you want to see the 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition in the flesh, you can do so this weekend at Overland Expo Pacific Northwest in Bend, Oregon. If you want to get your hands on one, they’ll be available in the late 2023 model year.