Based upon the 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X, the build is Overland Expo’s vision of the ultimate overland vehicle.
- A production 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X was modified to embody Overland Expo’s vision of the Ultimate Overland Vehicle, including components from 21 show exhibitors and brand partners.
- Debuting at Overland Expo West 2022, the truck will appear at all four Overland Expo events throughout the year and tackle iconic trails throughout the U.S. along the way.
- At the end of the show season, the vehicle will be auctioned off on Bring a Trailer with 100% of proceeds going to the Overland Expo Foundation charity.
Flagstaff, Arizona — Overland Expo reveals its Ultimate Overland Vehicle 2022 at Overland Expo West. Exclusively utilizing parts and expertise from Overland Expo exhibitors, the vehicle embodies Overland Expo’s vision of the ultimate overland vehicle.
“For our second Ultimate Build, we wanted to go bigger and more extreme. We brought together the latest and greatest in the overlanding industry to achieve our lofty goals,” said Overland Expo Marketing VP Jessica Kirchner. “We could not be more proud of this year’s build and we hope it serves as an inspiration to our fans of what is possible in overlanding. We are so grateful to our gear partners and to our official builder, MULE Expedition Outfitters, for bringing our vision to life.”
Based upon the first-ever 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X, the Ultimate Overland Vehicle 2022 build brings together the latest parts and components from more than 21 Overland Expo exhibitors and hundreds of hours from official build partner, MULE Expedition Outfitters.
“We’re excited to have the first-ever Sierra AT4X serve as the foundation for the Ultimate Overland Vehicle build this year. This truck represents the new peak of premium off-road performance with serious capability and uncompromising refinements,” said Chas Russell, GMC Sierra Marketing Manager. “The all-new Sierra AT4X continues GMC’s efforts to break ground in the premium truck category.”
About the Build
The 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X was selected as the base vehicle for its potent 6.2.-liter V8, techie and luxurious cabin, and capable four-wheel drive system that features front and rear electronically locking differentials. What’s more, the AT4X’s mighty Multimatic DSSV spool-valve suspension dampers that make for a smooth ride on and off road.
The stock pickup truck bed was removed and replaced with a 6.4-foot tray and three-foot canopy from MITS Alloy North America. Designed and manufactured to withstand the harsh conditions in Australia, the MITS tray and canopy conversion transforms the appearance and amplifies the utility of the truck from a trail-taming luxury pickup into an Australian-style overlanding machine.
The MITS tray features an eight-gallon water tank at its headboard, several storage bins along the sides, and a full-length drawer that extends from beneath the rear of the flat-bed tray. Inside the three-foot — i.e. “half” or “dog box” — canopy is a REDARC RedVision Manager30, which manages a solar panel affixed to the canopy roof and routes power from the solar panel in to two Battle Born lithium-ion batteries. These batteries power the standup-style CRX 110 fridge from Dometic.
Inside the canopy is a Camp Kitchen from Green Goat Outdoors, AluBox from Equipt, and Geyser Systems shower. Behind the half canopy lies a two-person Outbreak 1550 Swag ground tent from 23 ZERO.
Further modifications include 17-inch alloy wheels from ICON Alloys, which are wrapped in 33×12.5R17 Firestone Destination M/T2 tires. After deflating the tires, Viair’s Expedition onboard air system will quickly re-inflate the tires to optimal pressure. The Viair Expedition, too, is utilized for inflating the Firestone Ride-Rite air springs mounted on the rear axle.
The GMC’s 420-horsepower V8 comes to life with a roar thanks to a cat-back MagnaFlow performance exhaust system, which is tucked up under the body and clear of trail obstacles.
Several sets of Rigid Adapt XP lights mounted at the bottom of both A-pillars as well as atop the Rhino Rack Pioneer platform rack over the trucks’ cab illuminate the trail after sundown. Shade, respite from the midday sun, is created by the Rhino Rack Sunseeker 2.0 awning that is also affixed to the Pioneer rack. A second AluBox is mounted atop the Pioneer rack, which holds the rig’s recovery gear. Next to that are two waterproof dry bags from 3D, which hold personal gear.
Recovery duty is handled by Go Treads traction boards, Safe Jack bottle jack, and the Max Tool Kit from Forrest Tool. Passengers will stay safe and well connected to friends and family, even when in remote regions, with the MXT575 GMRS radio from Midland, ZOLEO Satellite Communicator, and weBoost cell signal booster.
All components were expertly installed by MULE Expedition Outfitters.
Official Partners & Gear
- 23 Zero — Outbreak 1550 Swag ground tent
- 3D — Waterproof Bag Dry Bag
- Battle Born Batteries — 100AH lithium-ion batteries (x2)
- Dometic — CRX 110 standup fridge
- Equipt — 81L AluBox (roof rack); 42L AluBox (canopy)
- Firestone — Destination M/T2 tires (33×12.5R17)
- Firestone — Ride-Rite air springs
- Forrest Tool — Max Tool Kit
- Geyser Systems — Geyser Systems shower and heater
- GMC — Sierra 1500 AT4X
- Go Treads — Go Treads traction boards
- Green Goat Outdoors — Camp kitchen
- ICON Alloys — Rebound Pro wheels
- MagnaFlow — Cat-Back Performance exhaust system
- Midland — MXT575 GMRS radio
- MITS Alloy North America — Tray and canopy conversion
- MULE Expedition Outfitters — Official builder
- REDARC — RedVision Manager30 power controller
- Rhino Rack — Pioneer Platform rack
- Rhino Rack — Sunseeker 2.0 awning
- Rigid — Adapt XP lights
- Safe Jack — 37M-Sergeant Kit bottle jack
- weBoost — Drive Reach OTR cell signal booster
- Viar — Expedition onboard air compressor
- ZOLEO — Satellite Communicator
The Ultimate Overland Vehicle 2022 will make its in-person debut at 11 a.m. MDT at Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, Arizona. It will appear at all four Overland Expo events in 2022, including the first-ever Pacific Northwest show in Redmond, Oregon, Mountain West in Loveland, Colorado, and East in Arrington, Virginia.
Throughout the year, the Ultimate Overland Vehicle will be driven by Overland Expo staff, brand partners, and members of the media along some of the U.S.’s most iconic trails, including the McGrew Trail, MaGruder Corridor, and White Rim Road. Overland Expo will document its travels on The Compass editorial hub and social media channels.
At the conclusion of the show season, the Ultimate Overland Vehicle will be auctioned off on Bring a Trailer with 100% of the proceeds going to the Overland Expo Foundation.
Readers can find details about the build and follow along with its travels on social media using the hashtag #ultimatebuild2022