ABOUT THE OVERLAND EXPO PACIFIC NORTHWEST
DESCHUTES COUNTY EXPO CENTER
REDMOND, OREGON, USA
With 340 acres and more than 300,000 square feet of flexible event space and state-of-the-art amenities, Deschutes County Expo Center in Redmond, Oregon is the premier event facility in the Pacific Northwest.
The venue is conveniently located 20 minutes north of Bend, Oregon, and less than a mile from Redmond Municipal Airport. Bend is set in Central Oregon’s high desert region just outside of Deschutes National Forest. The area is well known for its majestic Cascade mountain views and never-ending outdoor recreation.
Locations & Hours
When: Overland Expo PNW 2023 • July 7-9, 2023
Public Hours: Friday 8 am – 5 pm • Saturday 8 am – 5 pm • Sunday 8 am – 3 pm
Location: Deschutes County Expo Center, 3800 SE Airport Way, Redmond, OR 97756
Ways to Attend: on a premium Overland Experience package, general admission Weekend Pass with Camping, or a Day Pass (Friday, Saturday or Sunday). See our Tickets page to buy tickets.
AT THE VENUE
- On-site Day Pass parking is available at the event venue for free.
- No overnight parking or camping allowed with Day Passes (so please don’t ask!).
Although we are an event that promotes the use of vehicles and motorcycles for overlanding, we ask you keep driving to a minimum while on the venue grounds. No vehicles / motorcycles are permitted in the vendor area.
Mountain bikes are a great alternative for getting around. Please note: NO ATVs, quads, or side-by-sides except for those with appropriate handicap placards and solely used for assisting low-mobility attendees with accessing sites.
Attendees with limited mobility will be able to park in our handicapped-designated areas. There are accessible port-a-johns in the camping and exhibitor areas. The venue is level, with a large amount of pavement (though rough); some is graveled; the camps are dirt and grass, and will be difficult for wheelchairs and low mobility. Please contact us for more information, and we’ll do our best to make your visit as easy as possible.
Drones are not allowed, for safety reasons; additionally, we are within 1 mile of an airport and within the flight zone.
There will be a good selection of food, beverage and coffee trucks onsite in the Oasis Bar & Food Court.
Bar hours vary—see newspaper (receive at check-in) for hours.
- Drinking= NO Driving. Zero-tolerance is in effect—you will not be allowed to participate in any driving / riding / recovery courses.
Supplies such as groceries, ice, gas, banks, etc are located in Redmond less than 5 minutes from the venue.
Overland Expo is an outdoor event—be prepared for any and all weather!
- Daytime: average temp is 80°F; dry
- Nightime: average temp is 48°F
- Elevation: 3,077 feet
- Approx. sunrise/set: 5:30 am / 8:56 pm
- Bring sun protection such as a hat, sunscreen, long-sleeved light shirts.
- Layering is highly recommended; temps drop quickly after sunset.
- Drink lots of water; you will dehydrate faster and alcoholic beverages hit you quicker at higher elevations!
- Elevation can also affect those with cardiac issues, please use caution.
ON-SITE CAMPGROUND (NON-RESERVED AND PAID RESERVATION CAMP)
- Basic camping on-site (no hook-ups), interspersed throughout the grounds in an open field, is included free with any Overland Experience package for smaller overland vehicles and motorcycles only (no vehicles over 35 feet, no large trailers, see vehicle restrictions) (Individual reservations are not needed as all camp spots are in open areas—see below.).
- General admission who purchase Weekend Pass with Camping will also have access to the basic on-site camping (no hook-ups).
- Day Pass attendees (those visiting for only one day) ARE NOT eligible for camping.
- All camping spots in the included camping areas are festival-style.
Rustic, festival-style camping is available to all on-site campers. Access is open to overland vehicles only; no hookups; no vehicles over 35 feet, no large trailers; see vehicle restrictions. There will be porta-john and cabana-style showers within the campground; there are potable water spigots for filling up.
Camping is festival-style. On-site camping is in demand. In order to accommodate as many on-site campers as possible, campers will be within 10 feet of fellow campers.
RULES FOR CAMPING:
- Pets are welcome, but please clean up after them; make sure to read the Pet Rules.
- There will be roving 24-hour security.
- NO open (wood or charcoal) fires allowed in the camping areas. Cookstoves (propane, white gas, etc) and gas-powered campfire units okay.
- There is NO electricity. Please turn off your generators after sunset.
- Camping opens Thursday [times will vary depending on your ticket type]. You may stay over Sunday night.
- Friends Who Want To Camp Together, Must Arrive Together: There will be no reserving space for friends within the campgrounds. If you plan to camp with your friend, we will have a dedicated area on-site where you can wait to enter the campgrounds until their arrival.
FACILITIES & AMENITIES:
- There are no hookups for electricity or water in the rustic camping areas.
- We provide porta-toilets throughout the venue.
- Portable shower trailer service and availability will be VERY limited.
- There are water spigots thoughout the camp areas for filling up, but we ask that people be conservative and that you bring your own filled water containers / food / cooking gear, etc. Treat this like a true overlanding trip: be self-sufficient or plan to travel to Redmond (minutes away) for food, water, etc.
FIRES: No campfires (wood or charcoal) in the camp areas due to fire danger. Propane is allowed, including portable campfire appliances. NOTE: All and any fires, including propane, could be banned in the event of extreme fire danger.
GENERATORS: Quiet generators are allowed but must be turned off by 10 pm.
FIREARMS: Venue rules state no firearms
For Overland Experience registrants that are camping on-site and Weekend Pass with Camping ticket holders, plan to arrive during staffed hours of operations and allow extra time for parking and/or camp set-up.
- Thurs: 8am – 6pm
- Fri: 8am – 6pm
- Sat: 8am – 5pm
- Sun: 8am – 12pm
NEARBY ACCOMMODATIONS & CAMPING
There are no on-site hotels available, but there are many options nearby, at all price levels. Check out our Accommodations section of our Guide to Bend page for links and information.
*Disclaimer: if you are contacted by Expo Housing Services (http:// www.expohousingservices.com), we are in no way associated and it is a scam.
TRIP AND VEHICLE PLANNING
Redmond Municipal Airport (RDM) is a 1-minute drive to the event facility. RDM has direct flights to DEN, LAX, SFO, SEA, SLC, PDX, SAN, LAS, PHX, BUR and RNO. All major car rental companies are represented at RDM.
For something a bit more interesting than a Kia sedan, Central Oregon Rentals rents off-road vehicles.
If you are looking to rent a motorcycle, MotoFantasy.net has a selection of bikes ready for your adventure.
If you have a personal vehicle for sale, you are welcome to purchase a weekend camping pass and display a “for sale” sign at your vehicle, in the camping area.
If you are an overland vehicle builder / customizer selling for profit, contact us about displaying your vehicle.
No, Overland Expo does not provide or rent vehicles for classes. On any sponsored driving course, the test vehicles provided are for the session only, not for the whole weekend. You need to bring your own vehicle to participate in the exercises.
No, Overland Expo does not provide or rent motorcycles for classes. Demo bikes are only available for brief, chaperoned rides—they are not available for use in classes. You must bring your own registered, road-legal motorcycle and gear if you want to participate in motorcycle classes.
There are numerous groups organizing overlanding trips to the show, both for a fee or for free. The following forums are good resources:
Feel free to post about your caravan on our Facebook event page as well.
If you have other forum resources, please let us know.
THE WORLD IS OUT THERE GO SEE IT!
Join attendees from all over the world at this year’s Overland Expo West in Flagstaff, AZ.